The following general guidelines help manage the risk of weed resistance occurring. More specific recommendations are outlined in each Roundup Ready crop section in the Technology Use Guide (TUG), distributed to all growers who own a Technology Use License.
- Scout your fields before and after herbicide application.
- Start with a clean field, using either a burndown herbicide application or tillage.
- Control weeds early when they are small.
- Add other herbicides (e.g. a selective and/or a residual herbicide) and cultural practices (e.g. tillage or crop rotation) as part of your Roundup Ready cropping system where appropriate.
- One method for adding other herbicides into a continuous Roundup Ready system is to rotate to other Roundup Ready crops.
- Use the right herbicide product at the right rate and the right time.
- Control weed escapes and prevent weeds from setting seeds.
- Clean equipment before moving from field to field to minimize spread of weed seed.
- Use new commercial seed as free from weed seed as possible.