People and Sustainable Agriculture
We strive to make balanced meals more accessible for everyone on the planet and improve lives for farmers, employees, consumers and communities.
Helping to Ensure Food and Nutrition Security
Helping make balanced meals more accessible to all is a complex undertaking that encompasses interdependent factors including crop production, access to inputs, distribution systems, agronomic knowledge, technology, access to capital and local customs.
We’ve set ambitious goals and are engaging in key collaborations and providing educational resources to improve food security and the lives of smallholder farmers.
Goal: Increase Crop Productivity
Key Food and Nutrition Security Collaborations
- Water Efficient Maize for Africa (WEMA) is a multi-stakeholder partnership that aims to improve food security and enable improved livelihoods among smallholder farm families in Sub-Saharan Africa. (Page 32)
- World Economic Forum (WEF) New Vision for Agriculture is a global initiative that engages business, government, civil society, farmers and development partners to achieve sustainable agricultural growth in the face of a growing world population. Monsanto is involved in two of WEF’s regional partnerships, Grow Africa and Grow Asia. (Pages 33-35)
- We collaborate with stakeholders to provide smallholder farmers with education and training related to good agricultural practices for crop production including pest management, irrigation, harvesting, seed selection and more. (Pages 35-36)
- To help address malnutrition and food insecurity impacting young children globally, Monsanto Fund – the philanthropic arm of our company and a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit funded by Monsanto – has put in place a series of initiatives that will leverage the expertise and regional partnerships of key organizations. (Page 37)
- Through the Leaders Engaged in Advancing Dialogue (L.E.A.D.) initiative, we’re learning from and sharing information with dietitians, nutritionists, our L.E.A.D. Network and others involved in conversations about the intersection of food, nutrition and agriculture. (Page 38)
Forging the Way in Human Rights
Respecting and protecting the dignity of every person is a long-held Monsanto commitment. To this end, we have policies and practices in place to ensure that fundamental human rights are respected and advanced. (Pages 54-57)
- Our longstanding commitment to human rights was formalized in 2006 with the establishment of our Human Rights Policy. See our human rights milestones.
- Monsanto was the first agriculture company to sign the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) WASH Pledge. This formalized our commitment to ensure that all Monsanto employees and directly-supervised contractors have access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene at the workplace. (Page 57)
Reaching Out to Communities
We are committed to having a positive impact in the communities where we work and live and on society at large. Our support of STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) education, community health and safety and employee volunteerism are investments in our collective future. (Pages 39-43)
Improving Lives for Our People
To ensure the success of our employees, we invest in world-class training and development, foster inclusion and diversity, and work to provide a healthy and safe work environment around the world.
- Honoring and embracing diversity drives broad employee engagement and business success. We view diversity as the collective makeup of a variety of attributes, backgrounds, cultures, identities and ideas that people bring with them. We’ve implemented programs that accelerate inclusion such as sponsorship, unconscious bias workshops and Business Resource Networks (BRNs). (Pages 46-47)
- The health and well-being of our employees is a high priority. We invest in safety, health and well-being initiatives on a global scale, which have helped to reduce occupational incident rates and injury severity while fostering engagement and a shared safety culture. (Pages 51-53)
- We provide employees with a comprehensive total rewards package including compensation, retirement benefits, healthcare benefits and more to attract and retain the best talent. (Page 48)
- To help our employees succeed, we offer numerous training and development opportunities, including a leadership exchange program that empowers selected employees across our global business to accelerate their professional development. (Pages 44-45)