Monsanto is committed to the success of our farmer customers and to providing practical, flexible and cost-effective solutions that address on-farm challenges, contribute to farmer choice and provide economic benefits to our customers. To ensure insect-protected Bt traits remain a viable tool for farmers, we are committed to ongoing conversations with the corn industry – making the following commitments to establish the most comprehensive approach to the stewardship of corn rootworm-protected traits.
We commit to:
- Expand the availability of corn hybrids with multiple modes of action to protect against the corn rootworm.
- Offer a robust product line of elite varieties – both with and without corn rootworm traits.
- Develop tools and products that make it easier for farmers to comply with refuge requirements.
- Implement broad outreach and farmer educational programs on the benefits of strong integrated pest management (IPM) plans.
- Conduct comprehensive monitoring of corn rootworm populations across the Corn Belt.
- Work with our customers to implement best management practices (BMPs) on fields with greater than expected corn rootworm damage.
- Invest in our R&D pipeline to continuously develop next-generation insect protection trait solutions that will offer new modes of action for increased durability.
- Continue to invest and develop soybeans to support our leading recommended BMP – rotating the field to a non-host crop, which breaks the corn rootworm cycle.
- Support collaborative, new research that increases broadly our understanding of corn rootworm and corn rootworm management.