The Chinese government’s approval of the final safety certificates for the importation of grain from biotech crops is good news for growers who plant crops improved through biotechnology. China is a very important market for these products. Issuance of these final safety certificates as per the guide lines issued in January 2002 will allow for a more predictable process for traders and continued trade of these biotech products.
What Do These Guidelines Require?
These guidelines require a comprehensive review of the safety assessment studies for all imported biotech events. In addition, traders are required to apply for safety certificates from biotechnology trait developers for use in obtaining approval for import from the Ministry of Agriculture (MOA) prior to shipping into the country.
Which Monsanto Products Have Been Granted Safety Certificate Approvals for the MOA?
Safety certificates for the following events have been issued to Monsanto Company by the Ministry of Agriculture (MOA) of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) through the AgGMO Office, based on proprietary packages of safety information provided by Monsanto:
- Roundup Ready® Soybean, Event 40-3-2
- Roundup Ready® Corn 2, Event NK603
- YieldGard® Corn Borer, Event MON810
- YieldGard VT™ Corn, Event MON88017
- YieldGard VT PRO™ corn, Event MON 89034
- DroughtGard® Corn, Event MON 87460
- Bollgard® Cotton, Event 531
- Roundup Ready® Cotton, Event 1445
- Bollgard II® Cotton, Event 15985
- Roundup Ready® Flex Cotton, Event MON88913
- Roundup Ready® Canola, Event RT73(GT73)
- Roundup Ready 2 Yield™ Soybean, Event 89788
- Intacta RR2 PRO™ Soybean, Event MON87701XMON89788
- Roundup Ready® Sugarbeet H7-1
- Roundup Ready 2 Xtend® Soybean Event MON 87708
How Long Are the Certificates Valid?
How to Request Final Chinese Safety Certificates for Monsanto Biotech Events:
- Visit the China Safety Certificate Trader Forms page under the “Safety and Technical Information" section on the website.
- To access the printable version of the application pages (2pp.), click on “Trader Request for Chinese Safety Certificates"
- For instructions and background information, click on “Instructions and Background" link.
- Complete the application and fax or e-mail to the name provided on the application, please include a copy of your company letterhead to verify company information
- Your request will be processed and a copy e-mailed to the e-mail/s indicated on the application within 3 – 5 business days