Monsanto values the privacy of individuals who visit the web sites which are operated throughout the world by Monsanto or its subsidiaries and adheres to the privacy standards which have been adopted by the countries in which Monsanto companies operate. This statement sets forth the important information which individuals who visit these sites need to know about how Monsanto companies collect and use personal information from web site visitors.
Please read this policy carefully. By visiting a Monsanto web site and using the services provided on that site, you are indicating your agreement to Monsanto's use of your personal information as set out in this Policy.
This Policy is intended to be in compliance with the applicable privacy laws and regulations of each country in which Monsanto operates and from which personal information is collected. To the extent the laws of a country may prohibit Monsanto from using and sharing personal information in a way described in this Policy, the Policy and Monsanto's practices shall be deemed modified to be consistent with such local laws.
What Does This Policy Cover?
Collection of Information
Monsanto web sites collect Personal Information in several different ways:
- Some sites may permit users to request a "user i.d." and password which can be used on future visits to the site. Visitors to the web site may be asked to supply their name, geographic location and some information about their business or occupation or other reason for interest in the site. In addition, some sites permit users to supply an e-mail address to sign up for Monsanto newsletters. Other sites may include feedback or comment forms whereby users can submit questions or comments to Monsanto. (In this Policy, the foregoing information is referred to as "User Information.") The provision of User Information by a visitor of the web site will be voluntary and any failure to provide such Information will not trigger any consequence apart from the impossibility to benefit from the services connected to the provision of such User Information.
- Some sites may permit users to enter into transactions with Monsanto or to take advantage of services provided by Monsanto to its customers through that web site or through its offices around the world. On such sites, users will be required to provide detailed information necessary to enable Monsanto to process the transaction and to provide the goods or services requested by the visitor. Visitors may be requested to provide financial information, including credit card or bank information, in connection with such transactions. Visitors may also be asked to provide information about the pesticide and other licenses which they hold in order to determine whether Monsanto can lawfully sell the products requested by the visitor. (In this Policy, the foregoing information is referred to as "Transactional Information.")
- From time-to-time our web site may request additional information from users by means of surveys or contests. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and the user therefore has a choice whether or not to disclose whatever additional information may be requested. Information requested through surveys and contests may include additional demographic information. (In this Policy, the foregoing information is referred to as "Survey Information.")
Cookies and browser collected information
Monsanto's Use of Your Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be used to communicate with you about your use of our sites, to let you know about changes to our services or our web site or to provide services to you or to improve our understanding of what visitors want and need to see on the sites. In particular:
- User Information may be used by Monsanto primarily to enhance the usability and friendliness of the Monsanto web sites, to ensure that the information which is provided is timely and relevant and meets the needs of our visitors, and to process specific requests for information which visitors may make. Monsanto may also use the information which visitors voluntarily furnish through these sites to provide information and promotional material to persons who have visited the Monsanto sites.
We will only use User Information for the purpose of sending promotional material via electronic mail if we have obtained your prior consent. For this reason, upon registering at any Monsanto web site which collects Personal Information, visitors will be given the opportunity to provide their consent with the use by Monsanto of the visitors’ Personal Information for the purpose of sending promotional materials.
The manner and method in which a Monsanto web site permits visitors to opt in or opt out of receiving such materials will be described on the individual web site collecting that Personal Information. If a visitor would like to "opt out", he may do so by following the instructions on the web site where the visitor originally gave his consent or the instructions contained in the e-mail messages delivering such materials to him.
Likewise, visitors may withdraw their consent to the collection or use of their Personal Information at any time by sending an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org identifying themselves and describing the Personal Information they want us to stop using.
- Transactional Information will be used by Monsanto to process and complete the transaction for goods or services requested by the visitor.
- Survey Information will be used in a manner similar to User Information but will often be used in aggregate form to provide Monsanto with information on customer needs, product design, market demand, etc.
In addition, Monsanto may collect and process Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Customer relationship management: including but not limited to the administration of orders and deliveries, marketing, invoicing, providing customer service and technical support and the profiling of customers;
- Supplier relationship management: including but not limited to administration of orders, payment, technical support and the development, maintenance and improvement of Monsanto’s relationship with its suppliers;
- Compliance and legal claims: ensuring compliance with legal obligations or establishing, exercising or defending legal claims;
- Safety and security: your Personal Information may be used by Monsanto if deemed necessary to protect Monsanto from a threat or other perceived security risk and such information may be shared with law enforcement authorities if appropriate; and
- Other purposes: any other purpose described and communicated to users prior to using the users’ Personal Information for such other purpose.
Sharing and Disclosure of Your Personal Information
For the above mentioned purposes, Monsanto may share Personal Information with:
- Corporate affiliates and subsidiary companies of the Monsanto group. A list of our corporate affiliates and subsidiary companies can be found www.monsanto.com
- Business partners: trusted companies that may use your Personal Information to provide you with the services and/or products you requested and/or that may provide you with marketing materials (provided that you have consented to receiving such marketing materials).
- Service providers: companies that provide services for or on behalf of Monsanto. For example, Monsanto may share your Personal Information with:
- external providers of marketing related services;
- external providers of IT related services (eg Microsoft; Salesforce.com);
- Other parties when required by law or as necessary to protect Monsanto: Monsanto may share your Personal Information with other third parties:
- to comply with the law, regulatory requests, court orders, subpoena, or legal process;
- to verify or enforce compliance with Monsanto’s policies and agreements; and
- to protect the rights, property or safety of Monsanto, any of its corporate affiliates or subsidiary companies, and/or its customers.
- Other parties in connection with corporate transactions: Monsanto may share your Personal Information with other third parties if your Personal Information is transferred as a part of a sale of assets including the assets represented by this site or in the event that Monsanto, or substantially all of its assets, are acquired outside of the ordinary course of business, and such Personal Information is one of the transferred assets.
- Other parties with your consent or upon your instruction: Monsanto may share Personal Information about you with third parties when you consent to or request such sharing.
- Any other third party communicated to users prior to sharing the users’ Personal Information with that third party.
Transfers of Information
Because Monsanto operates from its headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri in the United States of America and through subsidiary companies located in many countries around the globe, and because its web servers which host its web sites and the above mentioned recipients of personal data may be located at numerous locations inside and outside the United States, it is possible that Personal Information about users may be transferred from one country to another. Such transfers will only occur in compliance with the applicable local law relevant to the source of the information, but may result in a transfer of your Personal Information to a jurisdiction that does not have the same or a better level of data protection compared to the jurisdiction from which your Personal Information was transferred.
A list of countries in which Monsanto entities are located can be found at
Children and Privacy
Monsanto does not knowingly collect information from or about children aged 13 and under without the consent of a parent or legal guardian.
Correction/Updating of Personal Information
You have the right to request access to and correction of your Personal Information that was collected pursuant to your use of a Monsanto web site.
If you wish to access, correct, or update Personal Information that was collected pursuant to your use of a Monsanto web site, please contact us at email@example.com. Generally, your request will be honored within a reasonable time after we receive it. However, no changes to Personal Information will be permitted where the change would result in incorrect information or would alter a transaction with us already completed.
Retention of Personal Information
Monsanto will delete Personal Information collected from visitors to its web sites if it is no longer needed for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed under the terms of this Policy.
Monsanto takes precautions to protect users' information. Our safeguards include technical means and policies and procedures that our staff is trained to follow. In any event in which a Monsanto web site is hosted by a third party, these safeguards shall also apply. If as a registered user you receive a password, you should keep it confidential because it is the key to access to the information held by Monsanto about you. If you leave your computer's internet browser running and someone else uses your computer, they will be able to access your account; thus, if your computer is not physically secure remember to shut down your browser before you leave it.
We try to reduce the likelihood of accidental disclosures and unintended access and modification of account information, but it is impossible to eliminate this possibility completely. When users submit credit card information via the website, such information is encrypted and protected on-line with the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
While Monsanto uses SSL encryption to protect such Personal Information online, it also takes steps to protect Personal Information off-line. All of our users' Personal Information is restricted in our offices. Monsanto employees are kept up-to-date on our security and privacy practices. Any time new policies are added, our employees are notified and/or reminded about the importance we place on privacy, and what they can do to ensure our customers' Personal Information is protected.
Protecting Your Own Privacy
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose Personal Information online - for example on message boards, through email, or in chat areas - that Personal Information can be collected and used by others. Ultimately, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your passwords, any account information and any other Personal Information relating to you.
Changes to Policy
Each Monsanto web site provides a Contact Us section to facilitate feedback from web site visitors. Please use this facility to notify us if you have any questions, concerns or complaints about the manner in which your Personal Information has been collected or handled by Monsanto, or contact Monsanto's offices in your country.